Friday, June 10, 2011

Vegetable Love

There is a beautiful poem by Andrew Marvell (one of the English Metaphysical poets who lived in the 17th century, in case you didn't know). It is called 'To his coy mistress' and I've been in love with it for quite a while so please bear with me, while I rant on about poetry for a moment. The poem is basically a plea to the poet's lady (the coy mistress of the title) to make love to him rather sooner than later, which I think is a brilliant approach. He starts his argument by describing how they could take ages to get together - "had we but world enough and time" and then picks up spead telling the lady: "Let us roll all our strenghts and all / our sweetness up into one ball / and tear our pleasures with rough strife / through the iron gates of life." 
Apart grom the fact that the "rolling into a ball" and the "rough strife" read to me like an early allusion to BDSM (which I'm comparatively sure Marvell didn't intend), the poem also contains the beautiful line: "Our vegetable love should grow, vaster than empires and more slow."
Of course, the image is pretty clear: vegetables grow slowly, so the poem's referring to a love which is given time to develop and grow slowly. Unfortunately my perverted little brain had to take the term 'vegetable love' literally and regale me with images of ... ahem ... people doing it with vegetables. 
Ah, the possibilities of large carrots, zucchini or even (*gasp*) cucumbers! 
Now, there's some pretty hot cucumber action in my story 'Hot Buttered Strumpet' (Attention: reader advisory: This book contains a scene involving the use of a fruit as a sex aid). 
Hm, maybe I have a thing for food sex going right now. Come to think of it, one could probably have a lot of fun with fruit too. Any suggestions for delicious fruit or veggie sex I should write about? Please feel free to share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment