Sunday, August 28, 2011

Let's make some noise!?


I've always been fascinated by steampunk. The intricate workings of the machinery, and the concept of using heavy mechanics rather than printed circuits make it seem like a more honest, more accessible kind of technology to me. And, I must admit, the sheer beauty of the old materials makes me want to touch them and run my hands along smooth metal and shiny glass surfaces.
So, being an erotic romance writer, I thought I'd try my hand at writing an erotic romance story with steampunk elements. The writing is going more or less smoothly. I've got a plot, a couple of characters and they are ready to experiment. One of them is a collector of steampunk machinery. Of course his extensive collection includes a steampunk fucking machine. My female character is turned on by the sight of it. The raw power of the thing, the idea of being fucked mechanically while being watched by her lover makes her go all hot and bothered. Things get steamy quickly (pun intended). They decide to try out the fucking machine and …
BANG CLANK CLANK CLANK BANG CLANK CLANK CLANK BANG CLANK!!!!
Do you see my problem?
Any kind of steampunk machinery would be loud! Very loud! The steam engine would make clanking and puffing noises and the cogs and wheels and push rods and whatever other metal parts would make a lot of noise too. There would also be steam, but that could be dealt with by installing chimneys. But what to do about the noise? I don't know about you, but I would probably be turned off by the noise. Like a bad vibrator turning you off as soon as you turn it on, you know?
So, what to do now? I'm contemplating several ways out of this fix at the moment and you'll certainly hear more about them in the near future. But I'd love to hear your ideas on the subject. So, please leave comments!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Mina,

    I don't think your machine needs to be noisy. The boiler or whatever could be located in another room, controlling the thrusting mechanism via hydraulics or even pneumatics. Well-oiled copper and brass gears, padded leather seat, phallus of polished mahogany...It could be smooth and silent!

    In addition, your steam punk machines don't have to be powered by steam. I've read several s.p. tales where the motive force was the power of human lust!

    In any case - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisabet,
    thanks for your suggestions. Muscle power - or as you so aptly put it, "the power of human lust", is definitely an option I'm going to consider.
    I know you're an expert on these matters. "Carnal Machines" is moving upwards in my reading stack and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Many thanks for dropping by to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi sent me the following by email as Blogger wouldn't let her comment. Thanks a lot, Namoi!

    Okay, here is my suggestion. Have the lovers put on some music, something with a good beat that they would both enjoy. The machine wouldn't have to be too loud, just loud enough to join with the music, so everything, including hips, are pumping in rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not everything has to be Steam powered. Pedal power and flywheels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, Anonymous :-) I will definitely look into that.

    ReplyDelete